Sunday, November 13, 2011

Public Controversy

For my controversy, I have chosen to look at the continuous debate between what's better, breast milk or formula milk when it comes to feeding a baby.

The stance I side with is that breast milk has more advantages than formula milk. Breast milk has many health benefits for the baby including preventing allergies, defending from infections, and protection from chronic conditions. The health advantages will be my major evidence and support in this argument because the health advantages of formula milk are lacking; therefore, this is a strong point where I can really weaken the counter-argument, formula milk being better.

As stated, formula milk is the counter argument. This side of the argument lacks sufficient support and facts to why it is a better option. The only advantages that I have discovered thus far is that it is more convenient for the busy working mother.

2 comments:

  1. This is a really interesting topic to me. I really want to read your essay because I am truly believe that breast milk is the best for the child in his/her first year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you have a good sense of what you will argue and where you should focus your research to find support for your claims. (But you haven't included any of those sources in your proposal.)

    You have also identified the counterargument: formula "is more convenient for the busy working mother." So how could you convince a "busy working mother" that breast feeding is worth the time commitment and inconvenience? What rhetorical strategies would be most effective to do so?

    ReplyDelete