Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Advantages and Disadvantages of ADHD Professionals


In my controversy of who shouldbe allowed to diagnosis and give treatment of ADHD patients, I decided to start my research ofeveryone that has knowledge in the area. I noticed that there is a lot of professional that are trained in different areas of the diagnosis and treatment of ADHD. The main experts I knew before are physiologists, psychiatrists andfamily doctors. What I thought was interesting is that if you want a full treatment you would have to go to more than one professional. A psychiatrist is usually the best option but a disadvantage would be they are not trained in counseling or help with day to day life skills. On the other hand a physiologist in trained in both diagnosis and counseling but cannot prescribe a prescription. A family doctor has the ability to prescribe prescriptions but has a limited knowledge of the disorder. So it seems one doctor can’t offer it all so families are forced to go off quantity rather than quality for treatments. A family doctor is the cheapest option but the least knowledgeable. Apart of my argument in the future paper is creating a standard of what treatments should occur or who they should see for a person with ADHD or ADD. If you want to learn more about the advantages and disadvantages of which professional to choose in diagnosis and treatment of ADHD visit additudemag.com
I have found my articles that related to economic and financial burden faced by families affected by AHDH and in my paper I will highlight the costs and come up with solutions to help
families be able to afford the best treatments at cheaper prices. In the A review of the Economic Burden of ADHD article, I found it interesting that there were studies that have shown that childhood ADHD can associated with criminality in adolescence and adulthood. A study of 17–18 year old adolescents in San Francisco, found that the ADHD group was more likely than the control group to be on probation, in jail, or assigned to a social worker by the court. The question I would like to ask is how many criminals can be linked to ADHD and were they treated or have ever been treated.

No comments:

Post a Comment